Monday 3 November 2008

Memorial Photographs

This post has nothing to do with the fact that Halloween has just gone! I found this article over on Photojojo which is a surprise as it's far from their usual fare. http://photojojo.com/content/photojojo-original/memorial-post-mortem-photography/ I always found this branch of photography fascinating, not least because we no longer do it. It is partly no doubt to do with our modern unhealthy relationship with death.
I last attended a funeral in 2007, it was my Grandads. It is the first family function I can remember in a long time where people knowing that I am a photographer didn't ask why didn't you bring your camera? I must admit I wanted to but was to scared. I knew that it wouldn't have been accepted and would have upset people, not something you want to do at a funeral. But why is that? why are funerals and death the one big life event that we don't feel we can/should record?

No comments: