Thursday 1 October 2009

"It's not a proper book", "It looks better than I thought" is it one of those Blurb books? scoff scoff. "Anyone can make one of those" True. Just like anyone can take a photograph, doesn't mean it's going to be any good though does it?. It's a bit like when people used to look down at The Open University. We cry democracy but only for ourselves and as long as status quo is maintained at all times. Am I over egging the pudding? I don't think so. Surely it's got to be a good thing that anyone can get their ideas and project turned into print? The law of averages says there's going to be some gems coming through. The Irony is I've heard bloggers knocking self publishing!
And so at last self publishing is getting a bit of Kudos. Hip hip horaay then for Impressions Gallery Bradford. Impressions Gallery you are the new William Tyndale. Trouble is Thames & Hudson, Chris Boot and Dewi Lewis will want to burn you at the stake..........
P.S The print quality in my Blurb book is easily as good as in several T&H books I have at home, and I spent most of the first decade of my working life as a printer........

1 comment:

marcus doyle said...

I think self publishing is a wonderful thing. But I think blurb is pants. The repro is fine for most things, but not mine unfortunately (rich colours).
The main problem I have is that these books are held together with Prit Stick and fall to bits in no time.
The time will come when you will be able to get a real quality book done yourself....I'm just waiting for that day..