Wednesday 12 May 2010

Mitch Griffiths

Bit of a buzz going on about THIS fella's paintings at the moment. Think Pre-Raphaelites with Big Macs, consumerism and plastic tits. Modern day Hogarth perhaps?
Photo-realism painting that's an odd fruit isn't it? Would these work if they were photographs rather than paintings? Does the paint add something other than the 'fuck me he's clever' factor? I guess they are like grand religious paintings for 21st century. I don't think they would work as well as photographs, for me the tradition of oil on canvas adds...

1 comment:

Glinka said...

This guys stuff is ace. My first reaction was that it would be just as successful if it were a photograph, but on studying the image, i agree, the oil on canvas definitely adds something to it.

Mass consumption: food, drugs, money, clothes, holidays.... religion. I love it.