Wednesday 15 December 2010

Stuart Griffiths.



Picturehouse Cinemas Present Isolation from Institute For Eyes on Vimeo.

"Many years ago I was a coffin bearer for a fallen comrade. I remember feeling the weight as we lowered the coffin into the grave and then afterwards folding the Union Flag and presenting it to the mother & father. Through photography I want to convey a sense of personal feeling about sacrifice. These journeys take me to many corners of the UK. I am fascinated by the people that gather in the wind and rain, whom line the sixty mile route with salutes and Union Flags, from RAF Lyneham to John Radcliff Hospital in Oxford, on each day a fallen soldier returns home."


I've been following Stuart's work for a few years and the above quote introduces a more recent series photographs called 'Final Journey'. Stuart Griffiths is making important records on the effects of conflict on British servicemen and their families, and more and more people are beginning to take note as can be seen HERE, HERE and HERE.

No comments: