Monday 12 July 2010

Gabriel Orozco.


A couple of films about Mexican Artist Gabriel Orozco. I am fascinated with his relationship with photography. He sometimes describes his photography as sculpture. In the second film you can hear him describe that relationship. Below he describes it as a shoebox. I sometimes personally describe it as "a bit of a bastard" Which is probably why I seldom get asked to descibe it at all...

"For me photography is like a shoebox. It is a container I use to transport what I pick up in my interactions....I value the plane of the photograph in its description of the three-dimensional and in its possible space for storing time. I turn to the photograph as a sculptural space, and at the same time I am drawn to any object that may make an appearance in a photograph." Gabriel Orozco.

No comments: