Thursday 11 September 2008

JH Engstrom

Images copyright JH Engstrom

What JH Engstrom has to say about "Trying To Dance" which is the first series in the trilogy that also includes, "Haunts" and "Wells".

"I’m always looking for presence.Whenever I try, my doubts get unmasked.Easier then to stick with absence.I’m not trying to prove anything.I don't have that many memories yet."

The Three images above are one image from each of those series. As you can see they are for want of a better word eclectic. This is an artist who isn't in the least bit scared to change style, method aesthetic at will, to show his vision. No single style or photograph is enough, different tacks, sequences and layer after layer of meaning. This is blurring boundaries between visual art and what? poetry? archive? diary? It's hard work, but rewarding. http://www.jhengstrom.com/index.html

No comments: