Monday 8 October 2007

Harold Riley


Spent a great afternoon at The Lowry. Went to see the Harold Riley photography retrospective. To be honest I didn't think I was going to like it. I have never really been a fan of his painting and I get a bit sick of all that "did I ever tell you I knew Lowry" crap, but I was really impressed. His photographs up to the 1970s are a great piece of social documentary and incredibly forward thinking as it gives us a great insight into a disappeared Salford from the point of view of someone who not only knew it but also loved it. Having said that his more recent photographs are not really worth displaying and I think that a stricter edit would have improved the show. All in all though, well worth a visit. http://www.thelowry.com/WhatsOn/EventDetail.aspx?EventId=2993 PS there's also some prints by some photographic legends but you will have to go to find out who!

No comments: